Why choose Cadence Health for heart and vascular care?
The heart and vascular care staff at Cadence Health is committed to providing the highest quality services to residents of Chicago’s western suburbs and beyond. A highly competent, dedicated heart team provides a robust range of care that integrates cardiology, interventional cardiology and electrophysiology procedures, sophisticated heart and vascular surgery and a comprehensive cardiac rehabilitation program driven by your specific needs.
At Cadence Health, you benefit not only from collaborative coordination of care among a multidisciplinary team, but also from the only heart and vascular care affiliation in Illinois with Cleveland Clinic Heart & Vascular Institute, which has been ranked #1 by U.S.News & World Report for 20 consecutive years. The entire heart and vascular team benefits from exclusive access to the latest in cardiac disease protocols, clinical trials and research while communicating and consulting regularly with their Cleveland Clinic peers.
You’ll find comfort and confidence in these Cadence Health achievements:
- The Society of Chest Pain Centers has accredited Cadence Health—Central DuPage Hospital as a Chest Pain Center with percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) due to the hospital’s expertise in handling a cardiac emergency.
- Cadence Health – Central DuPage Hospital earned disease-specific certification for acute myocardial infarction (AMI), or heart attack, from the Joint Commission.
- The Heart Surgery team has achieved a three-star rating – the highest possible rating and the acknowledged gold standard for thoracic surgery – from the Society of Thoracic Surgery (STS).
- Cardiac Surgery results at Cadence Health rank in the top 12 percent — the highest possible ranking — by the STS national adult cardiac surgery database. Cadence Health is one of only a half dozen hospitals in Illinois that have the highest cumulative score in the STS national database for bypass surgery.
- The American Association of Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACPR) certified the cardiac rehabilitation program at Cadence Health.
You can have confidence in the Cadence Health heart and vascular team’s unique record of high-quality care and outstanding outcomes:
- Thanks to the heart surgery team’s dedication to eliminating preventable surgical complications, cardiac surgery patients treated at Cadence Health have experienced no sternal wound infections following surgery for six years in a row (nearly 2,000 procedures). Nationally, the reported incidence of sternal wound infections after cardiac surgery is 0.4-5%.
- While open-heart surgery in the modern era is incredibly safe, there is still a risk of death. An operative mortality rate for coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG) of only 1.3 percent ranks the heart surgery program at Cadence Health in the top 10 percent nationally.
- The Cadence Health avoidance of major morbidity (stroke, renal failure, bleeding) after CABG is better than 95 percent of hospitals nationally.
- The readmission rate after CABG surgery at Cadence Health is lower than national averages, thanks to excellent planning and post-hospital support combined with comprehensive follow-up care.
- Interoperative transfusion rates at Cadence Health – Central DuPage Hospital are 30 percent lower and its postoperative transfusion rates are 50 percent lower than the Society of Thoracic Surgery average.
- A review of aortic valve procedures during the past 18 months reveals no stroke, infection or death in 90 procedures performed at Cadence Health.
- In 2012, 100 percent of leaking mitral valves were successfully repaired instead of replaced by the heart specialists at Cadence Health.
Experience by Volume
As a regional center for heart and vascular health, the Cadence Health team has performed a high volume of procedures and gained valuable experience and insight into your needs:
- Cadence Health cardiothoracic surgeons perform more than 300 open-heart surgeries annually, which is more than any other far-west suburban hospital.
- Cadence Health cardiologists perform more than 425 PCIs (minimally invasive procedures on the heart and/or coronary arteries) each year.
- Cadence Health has made a substantial investment in attracting and maintaining a dedicated and experienced heart and vascular staff, including two full-time cardiac surgeons and a dedicated cardiac anesthesia group, with access to state-of-the-art OR equipment, including a transesophageal echo machine for 3D images of your heart during surgery.
- Dedicated Intensive Care Unit physicians — board certified in critical care — are available 24/7 and are in constant communication with your surgeons regarding your recovery.