Delnor Hospital traces its health care roots back to the start of the last century. In 1908, Dr. Raymond G. Scott founded Colonial Hospital, a nine-bed facility housed in a stately home in the heart of Geneva. A compassionate caregiver, Dr. Scott introduced medical innovations that were met with skepticism at the time—such as rubber gloves and antiseptic conditions during surgery. By 1925, the growing population needed a bigger hospital. A community-wide fundraising effort led to the opening of a new facility, now named Community Hospital, at a larger location.
Delnor Hospital Opens
On Thanksgiving Day, 1940, a 25-bed hospital opened in St. Charles, Illinois. The new facility was named Delnor Hospital after its generous benefactors Dellora A. and Lester J. Norris. This beautiful facility featured interiors designed by nationally known interior decorator, Dorothy Draper; while the medical areas were equipped with the most up-to-date technology of the time. Over the years, the hospital expanded to 105 beds and became recognized throughout Illinois.
Mrs. Norris was involved in virtually every step of the design and construction of Delnor Hospital. The facility was her dream and her legacy to the community. She served for 40 years as a board member and was one of Delnor’s most active and dedicated volunteers.
Community and Delnor Come Together
Over the years, both Delnor Hospital and Community Hospital received ongoing support and strength from area individuals—including board members, volunteers, the medical staff, employees and community leaders. These fundraising efforts fueled expansion and growth by providing advanced medical equipment, technology and facilities to better serve a growing community. In 1986, Delnor and Community Hospitals merged to form the Delnor-Community Hospital. Another community-wide fundraising campaign paved the way for continued improvement. In 1991, a new three-story hospital, now simply called Delnor, opened its doors—sharing architectural charm, compassionate care and the latest medical innovations.
Today, as part of Cadence Health, Delnor Hospital is recognized as an award-winning hospital that shares a commitment to deliver high-quality care through state-of-the-art technology, unwavering patient focus and seamless access to advanced services.